Saturday, September 8, 2007

birthday eve

I was doing some deep-cleaning and reorganization yesterday, and came across the album that my mother made to document my birth. As tomorrow is my 31st birthday, I thought I'd share her writing, and this photograph of her and my father sharing a quiet moment during the labor~

A note: I'm staying true to her account, so my name is Heather here. I was Heather at birth, and became Anna later on...


"We arrived at Ann's dome at about 8am after about three and a half hours of labor. She put on a pot of coffee for the five of us- I had a special tea instead- Squaw Vine tea- good for soothing labor. She and her family continued with their morning routine- undisturbed by my little "dance."


Giving birth is the hardest work we've ever done. It requires such close "inner listening." I can see now how it could be very painful if the parents are not well prepared to co-operate with nature by this close "listening."


Ann is a very gentle and poised midwife. We were lucky to find someone so fine.


We tried to provide a quiet and unhurried space for the new one to be brought into. Tho quiet and joy are usually not associated in our thinking- this is what we experienced that wonderful morning.


(This note accompanies the first pictures taken after I emerged.) Heather's first minutes with us. She was a little upset at first.


So that she would have something familiar after all the struggle of being born- we put her right back into body temperature water."


*There are beautiful black & white photos in the album, including a few from the first few months. It's a treasure. Somewhere, I have another album with the same photos, but with my father's writing and account. I can't find it... maybe next year I can share that one.


4 comments:

Steph said...

Wow, Anna! What a powerful and loving story! You are blessed to have this account. This is a treasure, and to have one from your Dad, too!!!

Anonymous said...

I hope that you had a wonderful birthday, Anna. This was a beautiful post to read.

Keely Van Brocklin Emery said...

I'm finding this late, but this is just lovely. :) I hope your birthday was too.

Anna said...

Thank you, dearies! Sorry for the late regards, but I truly do appreciate your sharing in my story. :)